Monday, October 27, 2008

Flat feet

In “Why does it hurt?” I illustrated how the coalition causes the arch of my foot to collapse. I wanted to include one more picture. This is my “Charlie Chaplin” photo. I don’t actually stand like this, it’s two pictures put together.


The white lines show the distance from where my heel touches the ground to where the top of my arch is. I’ve also included a redline to show the difference between my ankles. This can cause problems all the way up the leg. I have tired legs and frequent back trouble. It’s either from this or I’m just getting old.

Now it’s important to know that there are two types of flat feet: flexible and rigid. Flexible flat feet can be treated with orthotics and inserts. These move the foot into the proper arch.

I’ve tried two kinds of orthotics for my feet. I hated them. I walked off the side of my shoes and they were painful. It is common to try orthotics for flat feet from tarsal coalition. And I’ll leave it to the experts to decide whether or not use them. But when you think about it, how does an orthotic help a rigid flat foot?

My orthotics twisted my leg until I had a condition in my knees called sublux patella. It had to be corrected with surgery. If your doctor is recommending this, quiz him or her about it. Sometimes orthotics and special shoes are not covered by health insurance so be careful what you spend your money on.

No comments: