Friday, November 7, 2008

CT Scans

My surgery is 5 days away now. The surgeon asked that I get a copy of my CT scan on a disk and bring it in before the surgery. So I have the disk, and I did a little search online for some CT scan program and found one. I downloaded the free trial version of an app called Osirix. (I use a Mac, BTW, and still found software.) I fired up the program and after messing with it a bit, I was able to grab a couple of shots of the coalition. Here's the first:

You can click the image to enlarge it. This is looking from the "front" of my left foot. The top bone is the bottom of my tibia. The little oval on the right is the bottom of the fibula. The chunk in the middle is the talus and calcaneous. I'm not a radiologist, so I didn't put any arrows on this one, it looks pretty fused to me. Here's another:


This one looks a bit more like a foot. My guess is that the bright white spot in the ankle is the fusion. I'll print these out and ask my doctor about it.

Okay, here's the fun part. The program I downloaded can take the CT scan data and build a 3D model. I can spin it around and mess with the contrast. As I adjust the contrast it gradually removes the skin and muscles and veins. Here's three views of MY foot. Freaky!




You can really see the talar beaking on this last image. I'll let you know how the surgery goes!

No comments: