Friday, November 14, 2008

Post-op: Part 2

I spent the night at the hospital. As the effects of the nerve block wore off I had a PAC machine hooked up to my IV to help with pain. The PAC machine has a big syringe inside of it full of pain killer. I was told that if I felt even a tingle I should hit the button that activated the PAC. The PAC would not allow me to overdose, so I could hit the button whenever I felt something.


While I was in the hospital I felt NO pain. Nothing. This was a real surprise for me as I was under the assumption that pain was going to be a real bear after the surgery.

We did keep ice on my foot to help with any swelling. I spent most of my time in the hospital watching TV and sleeping. I was discharged less than 24 hours after surgery.

Getting around the house
A physical therapist trained me on how to use crutches, which was a little scary. I have a friend in the medical supply business that brought me a walker. It's really great and I would recommend you get one for around the house. It comes in especially handy in the bathroom when you need the extra stability.

Bathing
I'm not allowed to shower or take a bath for a week. This is a bit tough. I've been using a wash rag and my wife washes my hair.

Pain Medicine
I'm taking two Percocet 7.5/325mg every 5 hours. The directions say every 6 hours, but I start hurting after 4. So I split the difference. I am hurting now, but not horribly. I compare the pain I'm feeling to the way my foot felt after I spent the day walking or cutting the grass. I had the surgery because my foot hurt, so I am used to foot pain. But as the Percocet wears off, I do get sharp pains and some periods of throbbing. It's all manageable though. Keeping my foot elevated helps eliminate pain as well.

Follow-up
I will have a follow-up appointment with the PA (physician assistant) in about a week. I'll take my camera with me in case the bandages come off. I think I have a total of 5 incisions.

1 comment:

karen0204 said...

Hello!!!! I am very proud that you made your decision to have the surgery.
on the other hand I am a 30 year old mom of three. My life is more active than ever because of my children. I have tarsal coalition on both my feet. I had a surgery thinking that my problems and the pain would be over but nonetheless things have gotten to hard for me. I live in Puerto Rico and I have visited every foot doctor you can imagine. I don't feel secure about having this surgery plus when i had my surgery it was ambulatory and the pain I went through was inexplicable.

For about 5 years I have been putting up with the pain but for the past year it has turned a night mare. I take lots of pain killers but they don't do anything anymore. To make it better I had a car accident and for the past 3 years I have been dealing with back, neck and shoulder pain do to a pinch nerve. The surgery I had was to try to correct the coalition but it did not work. The doctor gave me cortisone shots in several occasions but boy it was bad he stopped because after several of them i could not even walk for one or two days from the pain that would end up with. I had no information about my problem so i went for it.

I walk but the pain gets harder and harder I pray a lot for the courage but the fear its huge. I would love to be able to walk with my kids again and do some of the activities that we use to do. I can't even walk in the park with them, and that makes me feel ashamed o my self.

I don't know what to do please some body help me. karen0204