Thursday, November 13, 2008

Post-op: Part 1

It's been two days since my surgery and I'm doing fine. In this first post-op entry, I'm actually going to focus on my pre-op.

I arrived at the hospital two hours before the surgery was scheduled. I spent very little time in the waiting area (thank goodness), then my wife and I were brought to the pre-op room. This session began with several questions regarding the condition, getting my medical history up-to-date and confirming other information. They showed me a little gizmo that is used to encourage me to take deep breaths. I was to use it after the operation to help avoid pneumonia. They also started an IV.

Soon the physician assistant arrived as well as the anesthesiologist. The said they were getting ready to administer a block on my leg. Have you ever received a shot at the dentist for say, a filling? The dentist deadens a key nerve that numbs your whole face. In the case of your foot, the nerve is behind the knee. They rolled me over on my belly. Then a nurse put some medicine in my IV that she called a "six-pack." I don't know if I felt like I had just drank a six-pack, but it really relaxed me. I felt some tingling on my leg as they found the nerve and the shot really did not hurt too much. They rolled me back over and I think I received another shot in my shin. Forgive me, by this time I was feeling pretty out of it. My wife was not able to be in the room with me during this, so I don't have her to help me.

Gradually my foot fell asleep. It would stay that way for nearly 20 hours. They rolled me down the hall into the operating room and I don't remember much after that. Next thing I knew I was waking up in post-op. I felt a little groggy and my foot was still numb. The only thing that changed was now I had a big splint and wrap on my foot. Here's what I saw when I woke up, minus the ice bags:

No comments: